Administrative procedure - Italy - emPLANT+ Master

  • Home
  • Administrative procedure – Italy
Visa information

All non-EU students must apply for a student visa to the Italian embassy or consulate in their country of residence, before coming to Italy. You will have to show the acceptance letter received from the International Relations and Agreements Office of the University of Milan. The visa is required to apply for a residence permit once in Italy.

European students

If you are an EU citizen, you can stay in Italy up to 3 months without any formality, provided that you have a valid identity document for expatriation. After 3 months, you will have to to register with your local civil records office.

If you live in Milan, you can book an appointment on the website -> Servizi online -> Servizi Anagrafici -> Residenza stranieri.

On the day of the appointment, bring with you:

  1. your passport or identity card
  2. self-certification of enrolment at our University
  3. a copy of documents demonstrating the availability of adequate financial resources (approximately € 5,400), for example, proof that you hold a scholarship or details of your current account.
  4. a copy of the health insurance
Non-European students

Pursuant to the Italian immigration law, non-EU citizens who intend to stay in Italy for more than three months must apply for a residence permit within 8 days of entering Italy.

You have to fill in and submit the residence permit application kit. You can ask for the kit at the Welcome Desk, where someone will help you to fill it in. It has to be submitted to a post office displaying the Sportello amico logo, along with:

  1. photocopy of your passport (only the pages with your personal details and the visa stamp)
  2. documentation stating the chosen study programme and its duration, bearing the stamp of the Italian diplomatic mission which issued the visa (form A)
  3. a copy of the health insurance payment receipt.

• € 16 for 1 revenue stamp (available at any tobacconist’s), to be stuck on your residence permit application
• € 70.46 to be paid at the post office for the issue of an electronic residence permit
• € 30 to be paid at the post office at the application acceptance

Healthcare assistance

As part of the “Agency for university student services” project that is promoted by the Municipality of Milan, the University of Milan has made an agreement with the municipal health protection agency (ATS) to provide students residing outside of the Region of Lombardy with basic healthcare services free of charge, without waiving access to the general practitioner in their place of residence.

To take advantage of this service, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. be enrolled in a study programme at the University of Milan, and located in the Milan area;
  2. be a resident in Italy, but outside the Lombardy Region
Health, liability, accident and assistance insurance

All emPLANT+ students are covered by Dr Walter Insurance Broker, a comprehensive insurance for health, liability, accident and assistance.

More information about that insurance here.

Bank account

To open a current account you have to

  1. have a valid identity document
  2. have an Italian tax code
  3. never have been subjected to bankruptcy proceedings
  4. deposit a small initial sum

Most banks are open from 8.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. and from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Italian Tax code

The tax code or “codice fiscale” is an identification code issued by the Ministry of Finance which is needed in order to open a current account or sign contracts.

Citizens residing abroad can request it to the Italian consular-diplomatic representation in their country of residence. In Italy it can be requested from your local “Ufficio delle Entrate” (Tax office). A complete list of offices in the Lombardy region can be found on the website Remember to bring with you your passport.

Last updated : December 8, 2020