Administrative procedure - Finland - emPLANT Master

  • Home
  • Administrative procedure – Finland

Useful information for New Students

Visa information

You must apply for a residence permit if you plan to study in Finland for longer than three months. EU citizens, citizens of the Nordic countries, Liechtenstein and Switzerland do not need a residence permit. Residence permits are issued by the Finnish Immigration Service MIGRI.

All information about applying for residence permit in Finland is found here:


It is very important that you have good health insurance that is valid during the entire time your studies last. Health insurance is one of the obligatory requirements you will need for obtaining a residence permit for studies. Your health insurance must be valid upon your entry to Finland and your residence permit will only be valid for as long as the health insurance that you buy.

  • emPLANT scholarship holders are insured by DR-WALTER Insurance Brokers with a combination of health, liability, accident and assistance insurance (named PROTRIP-WORLD-PLUS) complying with the EACEA’s minimum requirements.

More information about that insurance for emPLANT scholarship holders here.

  • If you are an emPLANT self-financing student and you are a citizen of a third-country, i.e. you are not a citizen of one of the EU countries or a citizen of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, and you arrive in Finland for the purpose of studying, then you are required to have health insurance:

Third-country nationals studying in Finland for less than two years must have private insurance which covers the cost of medical treatment up to 100 000 euros. The reason for this is that these students are usually not granted the right of domicile, i.e. a home municipality in Finland, and therefore are not entitled to municipal health care services

To have more information about health insurance in Finland:

  • For all European citizens, the European Health Insurance Card is a necessity. It simplifies the procedures for any medical assistance needed during your temporary stay in Finland:
  1. It is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property.
  2. It does not guarantee free services. As each country’s healthcare system is different services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country.
Bank account

More inforation about opening a bank account in Finland:

Register with the authorities

After arriving in Finland you will have to register with a few relevant authorities within a certain period of time.

More information here.

Last updated : June 15, 2018